Saturday, September 29, 2007

This Is Going To Be So Nerdy

I love to make my bed.

1. Okay, I don't really. It's a pain in the ass and from a practical, I'm-only-going-to-sleep-in-it-later way, totally pointless.

2. But when I do do it (if you laughed at "do do" you get 55 points) it's like this great magical thing. I love my bed. I spend a lot of time in it. I go out of my way to acquire things for it that please me visually and to the touch. Tonight making my bed, I got sucked in. The soft 70s (yet still pretty) floral sheets I bought at a thrift store. Then the light cotton blanket, the only thing I don't love the look of but it's practical and the only thing that I didn't buy or make, but rather came from my family and has been on my bed since 1987. Then a well-loved, well-worn garage sale find, an all white blanket with lots of overhang and even a tasseled edge. This blanket reminds me of Civil War-era America. It's full of holes, but when it's spread flat across a bed, I just can't not stand and admire how beautiful a bed looks draped in white. Why the hell is that? Next is the blanket I made myself, a quilt. I enjoy it's pattern and the fact that it's my own handiwork - it's a great feeling to know that you can provide for yourself something as fundamental as bedcoverings. Lastly, the beautiful off white blanket covered in bright orange flowers. It's crocheted, but unlike most crocheted blankets it's not ugly, and it drives me wild with happiness to know that somebody spent so much time and energy and made such a gorgeous blanket. I like to think that an old woman made it and then died, hence the donation to thrift store land, and that my having it somehow connects me to crafty ladies from all of history. I just hope I never find out that it was a top selling item at Target in the nineties or some shit.

1 comment:

Cecilia said...

you really do have a delightful bed. or rather, the rented and/or borrowed and/or makeshift beds i have seen you reside in are delightful. those items so carefully woven together to create such....snugg.